The Ducati star failed a breathalyzer test after crashing a road car on his way home from a party in Ibiza early last month.
Thursday at Silverstone was the Italian’s first time back in the MotoGP paddock since the incident, for which Spanish media predict he could face a one-to-four-year driving ban.
“I already said on my social network [media] channel what I think. Three-four weeks have now passed [and so] it’s not something that can compromise my state of mind for a race [weekend]Bagnaia said.
“It was a mistake, a mistake I made. Unfortunately, it’s something that can happen. I really made a mistake. I understand [that],” he added.
— Pecco Bagnaia (@PeccoBagnaia) July 5, 2022
When Bagnaia was then pressed on whether he would have agreed to receive a MotoGP or Ducati penalty for the incident, his teammate Jack Miller – also present at the press conference – stepped in to end the questioning.
“Why?” said Miller. “It only evokes negativity and we don’t need to talk about it.
“He said what he had to say and that was it.”
Bagnaia’s only previous words about it, spoken via social media the day after the incident, were: “Last night I was in Ibiza with my friends for a party during this break from MotoGP.
“We celebrated and toasted together for my victory in the Dutch GP.
“As I was leaving the disco at 3am, I was facing a roundabout when I found myself with the front wheels in a ditch, without involving other vehicles or people.
“However, the blood alcohol test carried out by the police revealed that the blood alcohol level was higher than what is allowed by Spanish law.
“I’m sorry for what happened; I’m pretty much a non-drinker, and this was gross negligence that shouldn’t have happened.
“I apologize to everyone and I can assure you that I learned the lesson.
“Never drive after drinking alcohol. Thanks.”
Bagnaia, who has three wins and three retirements in the last six races, starts this weekend’s race fourth in the world championship, 66 points behind Fabio Quartararo.