Driving lesson

Cameron Bailey jailed after driving over pedestrians in Fisherton Street

An ex-soldier has been jailed for eight years after deliberately driving over pedestrians in Fisherton Street after a confrontation earlier in the night.

Appearing at Salisbury Crown Court today (Friday May 27), Cameron David Bailey, 25, of Mooltan Barracks, Tidworth, was also banned from driving for seven years.

He previously pleaded guilty to intentionally causing grievous bodily harm, willful injury and dangerous driving.


LOOK: The moment an ex-soldier ran over pedestrians on Fisherton Street


Bailey was a serving soldier at the time, but the Army has since dispensed with his services.

Continuing, Charles Gabb told the court that at lunchtime on the day of the incident – Sunday March 27 – he went out with three comrades in arms and was the designated driver of the vehicle, a Skoda Blue Octavia.

After drinking in Amesbury, the group then traveled to Salisbury for a pub crawl.

The court heard that Bailey had consumed between five or six pitchers in total and just drank and didn’t eat.

He then consumed two more beers and a Jagerbomb – a “ridiculous amount” of alcohol, according to Mr Gabb – and was then refused entry to another pub.

The four men then came across a group of young people aged around 17, who also appeared to be drinking.


READ MORE:


Bailey or one of his friends yelled at one of the victims, who “reacted negatively”, and there was “some kind of confrontation”.

Bailey was heard mumbling ‘crude threats of extreme violence’, including threats to rape their sister, and a fight broke out, which a security guard from a nearby pub helped break up.

The court heard that the man who was later to be victimized in the incident may have pushed Bailey.

The groups then crossed paths a second time, but there was a verbal exchange of words without violence.

According to CCTV footage, around nine o’clock in the evening, Bailey’s car emerged from a side road – Summerlock Approach, next to Baileys of Salisbury – and turned left onto Fisherton Street, where the same group of teenagers walked on the sidewalk.

Bailey, leading the group of soldiers into the car, deliberately turned around after noticing it was the same group he had encountered earlier.

“He had convinced himself that these people had to be taught a lesson,” the prosecution said.

He pulled up behind a car on the street, near the victims, and waited 21 seconds watching them.

Footage shows him waiting behind the car, before speeding to 27 miles per hour, according to forensic evidence, climbing onto the pavement and hitting two of the teenagers.

His car was used as an ‘appalling weapon’, Mr Gabb said, and according to a witness the car ‘kicked them down like bowling pins’.

He then drove back to his garrison, went to his bedroom and got into bed, where police later found him – “stench of alcohol”, according to the judge – after identifying the registered holder of the car.

He was arrested that night and questioned the next morning, during which he gave a false account to the police and said he had no intention of hitting anyone.

Two teenagers were taken to hospital following the incident.

The car hit a 17-year-old girl, who cannot be identified for legal reasons. She was thrown through the air and hit the windshield.

She had damaged front teeth and severe injuries to her heels and ankles.

The teenager, who is a student, spent four days in hospital and underwent numerous operations.

Another teenager was also knocked down and left with head lacerations that required stitches, leaving a scar.

The court heard that Bailey made no attempt to stop. “It was a deliberate and determined attack and he probably thought they deserved it,” Mr Gabb said.

He added that it was ‘complete mercy for everyone involved’ that the injuries were not more serious as Bailey ‘could face much more serious charges’.

Defending Bailey, David Richards said Bailey ‘didn’t start the confrontation’ earlier in the night, but what he did next was ‘quite frankly beyond pale’.

He added that he seems to ‘appear like a generally decent person’, but has a drinking problem, and has had mental health issues, as well as a ‘difficult relationship with anger’. .

He has since taken “positive steps” to address it.

“I ask your honor to accept his remorse,” Mr Richards added.

Judge Susan Evans QC described it as “senseless and shocking behaviour”, which had an “element of revenge”.

Addressing Bailey to condemn him, she added: ‘It’s to your credit that you’re trying to put your time in police custody to good use.

Bailey was first arrested on suspicion of attempted murder on March 28, but the charge was later upgraded to grievous bodily harm with intent.

He pleaded guilty at the first opportunity, on April 22, when he was banned from driving.

Bailey also received a seven-year concurrent driving disqualification and must pass an extended retest before driving again.

Get more news from Salisbury.

You can also like our Facebook page and follow us on Twitter and Instagram to stay up to date, as well as sign up for one of our newsletters.

If you want online news with fewer ads, unlimited access and reader rewards – plus a chance to support our local journalism – ask about signing up or a digital subscription.

Email [email protected] with your comments, photos, letters and stories.