Driving school

Bradford man Jamie Taylor caused the death of Iram Shahzada by dangerous driving

A MUCH LOVED mother-of-five has been killed when she was hit by a speeding ticket as she drove the short distance to pick up her young daughter from school.

Jamie Taylor tested positive for cocaine after walking into Iram Shahzada, known as Ruby, on the afternoon of May 10 last year.

He slammed into a parked vehicle and was speeding when he hit Ms Shahzada, 39, on the pavement, throwing her six feet in the air, Bradford Crown Court heard today.

Taylor, 42, of Hendford Drive, Pollard Park, Bradford, wept in the cabin at HMP Leeds as heartbreaking personal statements from victims were read by members of her family.

He also sat with his face buried in his arms when graphic footage of the fatal impact was played in court.

He pleaded guilty to causing the death of Ms Shahzada by dangerous driving at the junction of Beech Terrace and Hinchliffe Street in Bradford Moor at 2.45pm.

Taylor was jailed for seven and a half years, plus 18 consecutive months for an unrelated offense of unlawful injury, making nine years in all.

Prosecutor Chloe Fairley said Ms Shahzada, who lived on Hinchcliffe Street, was only minutes from home to pick up her five-year-old daughter from Lapage Primary School on Barkerend Road.

She was on the sidewalk when she was hit by Taylor who was driving a silver Citroën C1.

A Parcelforce driver described seeing the car “rocking” and descending “extremely fast” before the tragic impact.

Taylor staggered away from the vehicle, making “no attempt to check on the lady lying on the ground”, Miss Fairley said.

Ms. Shahzada was unconscious with head injuries. An ambulance and air ambulance rushed to the scene, but paramedics were unable to save her.

A teenager said he saw a speeding car with the engine roaring hit her.

People came to help and used CPR until emergency services arrived.

Ms Shahzada was pronounced dead at the scene, the court heard.

A man handed police a phone he said belonged to the driver of the Citroën.

Taylor was found by police at 4 p.m. at his girlfriend’s home. When cautioned for the offence, he replied, “Are you kidding?” After being arrested and taken into custody, he denied being the driver and said he hadn’t been in weeks.

He claimed that “local youths” were driving the car in that area.

Taylor then admitted he was driving but claimed it was an accident when the gear stick popped out. Then he said his foot got stuck under the brake pedal.

An expert who examined the scene said the car had not slowed down before impact. No defects were found on the Citroën during its inspection.

Ms Shahzada’s sister-in-law Aisha Saeed fought back tears as she bravely stood up in court to read her heartbreaking personal victim statement.

She said Ms Shahzada, called Ruby by family and friends, was walking to pick up her youngest child, a five-year-old girl, from school when she was taken from them in a ‘cruel and tragic way’ . When she heard the terrible news of Ruby’s death, “gravity pulled me down to the ground,” she said. “It was the most heartbreaking feeling. I wish I could have said goodbye.

She continued, “Grieving never gets easier. All I can do is think of her and the kids. I am no longer the same and I will never be the same again.

Miss Saeed said she often cried herself to sleep and sought help from a bereavement support group.

“I feel like my world is gone,” she said. “It’s not just a life that has been taken away. Five children lost their mothers that day.

Bradford recorder Judge Richard Mansell QC told Miss Saeed: “I know this is awful for you.”

Other statements from family members spoke of Ruby’s aspirations and dreams for her children.

His brother said his whole world fell apart.

Ruby was “calm, humble and caring,” he said.

“My sister has left and my children no longer have their aunt. Every member of the family is deeply shaken.

The court heard that Taylor had previous convictions for dangerous driving and numerous other traffic violations. He was driving while disqualified and uninsured when he killed Ms Shahzada.

He had also pleaded guilty to unlawful wounding and assault by beating at a rally at a flat in Bradford in December 2019.

Ian Hudson said in mitigation that Taylor bowed his head in shame, remorse and guilt over Ms Shahzada’s death.

He accepted that he left the scene in a panic after the fatal collision. He was deeply remorseful and ready to face his punishment for the infractions.

Judge Mansell said it was “a disgraceful case of violence” in December 2019. Taylor struck a man in the head with a crowbar and a woman in the head with a piece of wood. He was imprisoned for 18 months for these offences.

Judge Mansell said Ms Shahzada was walking down the pavement to pick up her young daughter from school when she was killed.

Taylor had aggravated taking vehicle and dangerous driving offenses on his record and had never passed a driving test.

He told police he had traveled to the area “to score drugs.” He made a three-point turn and crashed into a parked car with some force.

He then raced down Beech Terrace towards Hinchcliffe Street as fast as he could to get away. He barely had control of the car as it raced down the steep grade, revving the engine, Judge Mansell said.

Taylor drove straight onto the pavement, slammed into Ms Shahzada and threw her into the air. He then left the scene without making any effort to check on her.

She had suffered a serious head injury and died at the scene.

Taylor forgot her phone in her haste to get away. He had a long history of Class A drug addiction and later gave a positive cocaine test.

He then lied to the police in a desperate effort to avoid responsibility.

He was jailed for seven and a half years for causing death by dangerous driving. The sentences are consecutive, for a total of nine years.

Taylor was banned from driving for nine and a half years.