Driving tests are expensive and prices are rising, but a motability program can help disabled drivers learn to drive without all the expense, as long as they claim the right benefits.
Image: Getty Images)
Learning to drive is a practical skill that many people need to learn, but it can be very expensive.
A recent survey of Marmalade Insurance suggested nearly half of instructors have hiked the price of lessons due to the coronavirus pandemic and subsequent lockdowns, making it even harder for people to hit the road.
It is estimated that around 40% of instructors across the UK have increased the price of courses since the start of 2020.
Lessons can now costs up to £31 per hour. The average learner driver needs 40 to 50 hours of lessons before they are ready for the test, which means the total fees can be exorbitant, reported the Daily recording.
However, many people with disabilities may not know that the Mobility scheme can offer up to 40 hours of free driving lessons to those who qualify.
If you have a driver’s license but are making the transition to an adapted vehicle, the Mobility Program can help you by funding familiarization courses.
These specialized courses give you time to learn to drive an adapted vehicle under the supervision of a qualified instructor.
Who can apply for the Motability Driving Tuition Scholarship Scheme?
The Mobility Driving Course Scholarship Program is currently prioritizing funding for people wishing to learn to drive and who are:
1. Receiving one of these invalidity allowances:
- Bonus rate for the mobility component of the PIP
- Higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance
- Higher rate mobility component of child disability payment
- Mobility supplement for war pensioners
- Armed Forces Independence Payment
2. Receive a means-tested government benefit, including:
- Universal Credit
- Income support
- Employment and Support Allowance (income related)
- Jobseeker’s Allowance (income-based)
- Housing allowance
- Council Tax Benefit (Council Tax Support, Council Tax Reduction)
- Pension guarantee credit
- Work Tax Credit
- Child tax credit
You must also have a current mobility program lease or have a pending request for a mobility program vehicle, with a confirmed date to take delivery of the vehicle within the next four months.