Driving assessment

BC News: Truck driver surrenders after March


A driver accused of hitting four people during a march to a boarding school in Mission, British Columbia, over the weekend has turned himself in, according to local RCMP.


RCMP said the 77-year-old driver was not arrested. His truck was seized, however, and police said he was cooperating with investigators.


The incident unfolded Saturday afternoon as a group of people participated in the Walk for Residential School Recognition at the site of the former St. Mary’s Indian Residential School. Hundreds of children were taken from their families to this institution, which was run by the Roman Catholic Church and later by the federal government. It only closed in 1984.


Constables said the march temporarily blocked the eastbound lane of the Lougheed Highway. Police said that when they arrived at the scene following a report that a fight might break out, they were told “a man driving a van drove through part of the protest, allegedly punched four people in doing so, before leaving”.


Two people were taken to hospital with what police said were minor injuries.


Troy Ingraldi was doing traffic control for Saturday’s march.


“The truck came accelerating, there were children in the right lane. I wanted to make sure the kids were okay, so I got in front of the vehicle,” he told CTV News. “He stopped, but he kept going and that’s when he knocked me down.”


In its initial statement, the RCMP Mission called the driver ‘impatient’ and said ‘there is no indication that this incident was targeted or that the driver’s actions had anything to do with the people parading. or their cause.


Police said in their update Monday that they are seeking more information from the public and any relevant dash cam video. Constables are also hoping to speak to the driver of a dump truck or tractor-trailer, which may be blue, that was allegedly behind the Chevrolet Silverado as it passed the march.


“This has been a traumatic event for those involved in the march, as well as the wider community, and the police are working hard to gather all the evidence to help bring answers and closure to everyone involved. », Const. Harrison Mohr said in a press release.


“As in any criminal investigation, we must let the evidence guide the investigation, and that is why we continue to ask for more witnesses to come forward. We want to make sure that we present the best possible evidence for the assessment of the charges by the Crown attorney.


March organizer Christopher Roberts said over the weekend the RCMP response had been frustrating. He told CTV News only one officer came to the scene at the time.


“There are actually quite a few very upset people. Mostly because you know, this gentleman is still sitting at home,” he told CTV News on Sunday.


“What’s really heartbreaking is that if it was me or one of our other brothers who was driving and doing this to someone else, we’d already be in jail and the book would have us been launched.”


With files from Lisa Steacy of CTV News Vancouver